Monday 1 October 2012

WARNING: SOME OF THE PHOTOS HERE ARE FAIRLY GRAPHIC :: Battambang (The killing cave , a killing field, the bat cave,some countryside views)

The journey from Siem Reap to Battambang was pretty non eventful.The journey took 4 hours so there was a break halfway through where the bus decided to take off during the 30 minute break.


This is a Chinese burger
 
I took a coupleof pics on the journey and here they are
 
All I saw was lots of fields with water...and
 

Rich vegetation


             Once we entered Battambang, a guy saw me on the bus (I was the only westerner on the bus.) and he must have ran 0.5km alongside the bus with a sign indicating the price of the hotels that he was advertising.Once I got off the bus, I was accosited by this guy and another guy who proceeded to redicul him for his lack of english (which seemed pretty good to me) Anyway, I told both guys that I wanted to find a place myself but this guy was really insistent , to the point where he followed me while I walked down the road. Eventually, I listened to him and he said he could give me a trip to the killing field close to Battambang tomorrow. This was cool, then he gave me a lift to the 'tomato hotel'. By the way, this is a cool place, If you stay in Battambang , stay here! The people that stay there and the owners are a nice bunch.
        I threw my bags on the bed and went out for a quick walk about the town just to see if there were any interesting monuments.  found a couple...
Monument to be found at the centre of Battembang
 
 

I am guessing this is not a holy symbol in Cambodia, just an ornament
 
 

This represents the ancient cats that roamed the streets many years ago
 

Sea serpent
 
 

Churning the milky ocean
 
 

A  lot of imagery here
 
 

        Anyway, as I unpacked my bags,I started talking to  Ben from Bristol and his girlfriend Rhianna from Wales. They were going for a trek to the bat cave (apparently, 20,000 bats fly out of the cave at 4pm every evening and come back 12 hours later.) This sounded like a bit of an oddity and had to be seen to be believed!

The bat cave (not the one in the Batman series though)
 
 

Bats leaving in their droves
 
 

          After visiting the caves, we decided to try out some of the local brew back at the ranch.

This is something called beer.
It tastes good, sometimes




 The next morning, we all headed to a killing field, a place where they make rice paper, a scarf making place, a place where they make bamboo sticky rice and various drives around the country side. It was a cool journey ,although I had to get out once as the tuk tuk got stuck in the mud.
I even got the chance to plant some rice!
These 3 statues represent symbols of the 3 provinces (including Battambang) which were owned by other Countries before Cambodia seized them again


 
At one point, we saw a lot of paper strewn across the road, The tuktuk driver was telling us that it's custom to throw pieces of paper after a funeral of a loved one, especially if you cannot afford anything else.
Loads of paper like this one were thrown all over the road (indicating a funeral had just taken place (or a gust of wind had blown lots of paper in this direction) )
 
 
We paid a quick visit to the crocodile farm. There were a few stray animals there apart from the crocs though...
 
Quick kids, follow me! Some scary looking people have just entered the farm!


These crocodiles will not move a muscle if they are left alon.
If you throw water at them, they move for a second and then stand still again
 
 

Either that's a baby croc or someone has got giant hands!
 
 
 
Nice flowers on th way to the killing caves
 
 

One for the nature buffs
 
 
 
Rice paper (used for spring rolls)
 
 

close up of the rice paper



The woman creating the rice paper
 
 

spreaing the liquid on the drum and leaving it to dry for a couple of minutes
 
 

After drying , she hangs it up for a couple of minutes
 
 
 This was the scarf making facility , a place where I was able to put my reliable focusing powers to good use! 
Having a go at scarf making....
You throw the ball of fibre from the right hand side to the left hand side, then move the board at the bottom of the pic towards you such that it aligns with the other threads, then repeat from left to right
 
 

Bottles of petrol.
you see this all over Cambodia
 
 

Cool homemade bridge
 
 
At one point, we visited a farm, where we were able to view some rice fields as well as sample some rice wine and have  look at some turtles and snakes....nice!

Some snakes and turtles that were kept on a local farm
 
 

Women working in the fields.
Maybe, they need a little help!
 
 

The rice goes in the water ....which way again???
 
 
 


some lemongrass that was growing on the side of the road
 
 

Farmer taking his cattle for a walk


nice pic of a couple of houses by the river


Local boat by the river
 
 
 
Catfish by the side of the road
 
 

           The killing field was stunningly horrible. 10008 people dies here over a 3.5 year period and they had the most horrific deaths that you could imagine. Sometimes, there chest was smashed with a hoe and some of the organs were eaten afterwards.
They were told that the U.S army were going to drop bombs from their planes so they congregated in this field and fields nearby where they were worked to the bone, raped and murdered. It's a shocking story so some of the pics could be hard to view.
monument dedicated to the people who were murdered here during the 1970s pol pot regime
The skulls canbe observed if you enlarge the picture and have a look at the pieces of glass at the fonr of the picture
 
 

Close up
 
 




wow
 
 

This stuff is hard to comprehend
 
 

Torture methods used by the Khmer soldiers on thier fellow people
 
 

I am not sure what I can write here

After seeing this site, I was fairly stunned as I didn't know about the cannibalism here.  I wonder how the soldiers got into a mindset to do this. I heard that they would have been murdered if they started to oppose the regime so maybe it was a fear thing but I dunno.
Anyway, I needed to clear the head so the best way to do this was food. Bamboo sticky rice seemed to be the way to go and as it happens, some people were making it on the side of the road.


Bamboo with rice inside , ready for eatin'
 
 

Peeling off the bamboo, just likee a 'nana

their was a bamboo train ride that we could take but it seemed fairly gimmicky so we passed on that one. Sitting on some moving bamboo is all the it's cracked up to be you know!
The bamboo train



     I went for a jog around Battambang. The locals helped out by reciting the 1,2,3,4 and every kid I passed shouted out 'hello' (which is very common here.) The place itself is really laid back and I saw a few runners running between the 2 main bridges in the town. One of the joggers stopped to chat to me after I had finished my jog. He was a 71 year old guy who had been jogging 6km morning and evening every day for the past 20 years! That's some dedication!
     I went for a cycle to the killing caves. On my way there, I took a few photos of random things that I observed on my travels. It was cool to take some shots as I cycled and it broke the monotony of peddling!!

As I was leaving the hostel, the old women of the family  gave me one of her cakes..
Nice
 
 

I am not exactly sure what the woman is doing with the rope
 
 

You do not see many signs for this party
 
 

 
You see AN UNBELIEVEABLE amount of signs for this party.
Why is it that I wonder a bit about a party when the word 'people's' can be seen there.
For me, it usually means the opposite
 
 

This sign could be seen everywhere and as far as I could hear, It just encouraged motorists to beep their horns even more.
 
 

Signs depicting the past seem to be seen all along the road side
 
 

This is a Trough , Cambodian style
 
 

Nice view
 
 

I needed to shelter under a tree to stay away from the sun.
 
 
            When I reached the killing cave, I decided to have a look at the buddha that was closest to the road, You had to climb up 2 sets of rickedy stairs to view the buddha up close but there were some nice views when you got there.
Walking up these steps in my economy flipflops is more difficult than expected.
I nearly lost them a couple of times! 
 

View overlooking the land from the big buddhas viewpoint
 

View from a different angle
 

The man himself
 

This place contains a lot of forest!
 

There are a few houses dotted around the place also.
 

I had a look at the temple at the top
Half man - half lion
 


....before having a look at the killing caves. This was one of the locations where The Khmer Rouge systematically murdered people.
Image leading up to one of the caves
 

Taken from the entrance of the cave
 

Insence distorts the pictue a small bit. There are human remains in the dwelling at the back of the picture
 

View from the bottom of the cave looking out


Pol Pots army destroyed the statues but knocking off their heads
 
 

Light shining through the clouds
Taken from the Tomato guesthouse balcony


I cycled back home . When I got to the Tomato guesthouse, some guys were drinking. I sat down with them.3 Cambodians and 2 guys from the US (Michael) and Germany (Mark). One of the Cambodian guys worked in a restaurant so  we went to his place.
     At one point , the owner of the hotel came up to the Balcony where we were sitting and started talking on his walkie talkie.Michael was saying that betting on the weather was very common in cambodia.Lots of guys would go to the roofs of their buildings and look at the skies and bet....
a. if it would rain
b. what place it would rain
c. how much rain woul occur in the area.
I haven't a clue how the amount of precipitation would be verified though!
     Michael also mentioned the Khmer way of cheering before taking a drink. Nobody drinks at their own pace.You have to click glasses before taking any sip of beer and the older you are, the higher you raise your glass.The Cambodian people did this without thinking.
     When we got to the restaurant (Beat from Switzeland had joined us) they sat us at a table and 2 girls sat down.They stayed with us for the evening. We shared quite a few pitchers but it was impossible to get drunk as the waiters kept filling the beer glasses with ice and it really felt like I was drinking water.
Some lads playing traditional music at the restaurant
 

A typical Kymer meal


         The girls appearing to stay for the dinner appeared weird to me. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if they were able to speak english but they couldn't yet still wanted to head to the disco.
I didn't like the way the beer kept coming to the table even though none of us ordered it. We went to a disco place and the beer was ordered before we said anything so I moved on as it felt a bit crap. Before I moved,I noticed all the guys on the dancefloor started moving in a circle when a traditional Khmer song started playing. When I say 'all', I mean the whole dancefloor. This was fairly funny!
          After thus, I think it was time to move on, I had time for a couple more quick snaps before booking a bus to Phnom Penh. I had heard Phnom Penh is really dangerous at night. It will be interesting to see if this is the case and how the killing fields there compare to the one that I saw here. In any case, the family of the guest house wished me well ans sent me on my way. Longue and the rest of the guys seemed to take an interest in the guests staying at the hoestel and this was/is appreciated!

Man going about his business in Battambang
 

Follow the grass all the way to Phnom Penh

1 comment:

  1. So hard to comprehend how people can do that. I'd say that was a tough visit.
    Hope you're keeping well

    ReplyDelete